Bringing Board Games News, Reviews, and Goodness to the Interwebs.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Q&A: All Q's begin with a single A.

Share

Welcome to the first ever question and answer post.  I had just one question this week, but I thought it was fitting to start the first Q&A with but a single question.  Plus, it'll allow you to call me out if I blow it.  But I won't because I'm awesome like that.  True story.

@Autumnbuck (from the twitters) tweeted me thusly:
     what board game would you recommend for a monday evening?


I answered her over twitter, but thought I'd put it out here as well.  I'm assuming that Monday means you just got home from your first day back at work.  You don't want to play anything too involved (fun as Arkham Horror may be) because you're still winding down.  By the same token, though, I usually like to gear up for the week so nothing too simple (bye, bye Wicket the Ewok).  So I'm looking for a game that's simple to play, relatively quick, yet still allows me some challenge to further gear my brain up for the work week. 

The result: Carcassonne.  Its simple tile laying mechanic is great for keeping the game very playable without having to remember dozens of rules and specific scenario exceptions.  But, there is still a good amount of strategy as you try to create cities and roads for your meeples while keeping your opponent out.  The two player verison would also be a good choice. 

For a Monday, though, I would recommend against adding expansions.  Not only does that increase spite opportunities (not terribly compatible with Monday), but lengthens the game which may not be super fantastic when you're looking forward to an early bed time to help catch up on the sleep you missed over the weekend. 

Any other Monday recommendations?

(Questions for next week can be sent to me over twitter, via e-mail, or left as comments)

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, I agree with your analysis, Monday nights should be something light. Friday nights are the time to get intense.

    Unfortunately, I also don't really play games anymore. Graduated, all my geeky boys married my geeky girls and went to Seattle. It was distressing.

    Here's another Q for next time--what's the best way for a young woman in her 20s to find other people to game with in a big city? Maybe your wife can weigh in too...


    Making friends with similar would be a good start, but I've only got one friend who actually games and she lives on the other side of the city (which is far & intimidating).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not convinced of Carcassone on a Monday, that is a game which requires more long term thought than I am usually capable of putting into something after my first day back at work, although I like the game quite a lot. It also moves awfully slow at times.

    I would probably play Scrabble or Fluxx, if I space out on those, I can come right back in without having lost a lot of ground!

    BTW - I ADORE Q! Great picture!

    Rosalind
    Girls Are Geeks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big fan of scrabble. Not enough going on. But, I'll agree that Fluxx would be a good one. What could be simpler than draw one, play one?

    And you do have to have the right Carcassonne group. There's a few people that I know who take longer turns, but my experience has usually been that it goes pretty fast. Especially early on in the game.

    ReplyDelete